Dad....Stephen is on his way up.......


Good morning Dad.....I just got home from a trip to Midland last night. Your nephew Stephen passed away on Monday. Still don't know the cause of death but he was only 49 years old. At the cemetery I stopped and said hello to Mamaw and Papaw. I imagined that Mamaw was wringing her hands saying "Oh Lord, look who is coming to be with us." and she was probably worrying about Aunt Bev.

I think only the people really close to Aunt Bev's family will realize the depth of this loss. For Aunt Beverly she has lost all the men in her life....her husband, father, brother and both sons. And if you include Mamaw and her in-laws she has lost all her immediate family except Debbie. For Debbie, I can't imagine the sense of responsibility she probably now feels being the only sibling left to take care of Aunt Beverly. Debbie and I share a lot of similarities in our lives, but losing brothers is just a pain I've never had to deal with. I am blessed and my heart aches for her.

When I got to Debbie's home on Friday, on the driveway next to where I parked, was some chalk art that Jan (Chandler's mom) said one of Morgan's friends had drawn. It said "Life Goes On". It always amazes me how true this is. I couldn't imagine a day without you to talk to and yet it has been seven years and life has gone on. I guess God gives us the strength to not give up and go on to the next day. I hope and pray that Aunt Beverly still gets this strength. That family has been through so much.

Dad, it was my job to get hold of Andrea and John-Paul and let them know the news. I can report that both of them are doing great. You would be so proud.....Andrea is picking her jobs and naming her price to do just about anything she wants to. JP has finished his masters and is in a doctoral program and living in San Antonio. I think you should be very proud of all your kids.

I love you....talk to you again soon hopefully.....

No comments: