A Christmas Memory

Dad, when Thanksgiving is over and it is time to begin planning and decoration for Christmas I am overwhelmed with memories of you. This time of year (Thanksgiving & Christmas) are the toughest because they seemed to have been your favorite.

This year I was taking down my normal kitchen dishes and replacing them temporarily with my beautiful Christmas dishes that you made sure I had after I got married. I know how important your Christmas dishes were to you , like they were for MaMaw....so this fondness goes back and comes naturally.

I love especially putting up my big bowls that you bought first so we would have plenty of them for the traditional Gumbo! Can you remember how much we looked forward to this? I think I have your recipe but I couldn't dare repeat it. Thank you for bringing the Gumbo over to my house when I couldn't travel to your house.

I also ran across a picture of Greg and I in front of the tree at your house. We were skinny and your home was decorated so tastefully and beautifully. I know you were proud of your home when you had occasions to show it off.

Since you passed away the day after Christmas, also Craig's 4th birthday, I have to reach deep to find good memories of this time of year but they are there and they are strong because of your traditions, your efforts to get us together, and your attention to family.

I love you...Merry Christmas and Happy New year!

No comments: